The Hayden Library began as civic project sponsored by the Women’s Club of Hayden in November, 1930. The first library was located in a small room in the rear of the drugstore, loaned without charge by the druggist, Ralph Whittaker. Lumber for shelves was donated by Mr. Brunt and the high school students built the bookshelves. The Library Opening was celebrated with a book shower and tea which raised $7.50 and 318 books were donated.The following year the drugstore was sold and the new owners decided they needed the space occupied by the Library. The sitting room of the Central Hotel become the new home for the Library at a cost of $6.00 per month. This space as cramped and inadequate, so in the Fall of 1931, a cookbook was compiled and sold as a fundraiser for a Building Fund. In the Spring of 1932, a building on Walnut Street was purchased and remodeled to house the Library.
(Excerpt from History of Hayden & West Routt County 1876-1989)